Thursday, 4 June 2015

Architecture of Birmingham - points of historical interest.

Although Birmingham in England has existed for over 1000 years, today's city is certainly a product of the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries with variety of architectural styles.
Birmingham is a young city, having grown rapidly as a result of the Industrial Revolution starting in the 18th century. As of 2006, there are 1946 listed buildings in Birmingham, 13 scheduled ancient monuments and 27 conservation areas. The Architects Birmingham from Abacus.

Medival architecture

The 15th century Old Crown

  • The 15th century Old Crown, originally the hall of the Guild of St John, Deritend, is the sole surviving secular building of the medieval town. 
  • Aston Hall, designed in a Jacobean style in 1618
  • St Laurence's Church, Northfield, 12th century
  • St Nicolas' Church, 13th century and Tudor Merchant's House, 1492, in Kings Norton
  • Hay Hall in Small Heath, 1423
  • Blakesley Hall in Yardley, 1590

Georgian and Regency architecture

  • St Philip's by Thomas Archer, 1715.
  • Regency townhouses in Waterloo Street, ca. 1827
  • The recently-renovated Birmingham Back to Backs on Hurst Street are the last remaining back-to-back houses in the city.
  • St Paul's Church by Roger Eykyn, 1779
  • Original Georgian terraces in St. Paul's Square, ca. 1780
  • Soho House by Samuel Wyatt, 1796
  • Regency villa inEdgbaston, ca. 1820
  • St. Thomas', Lee Bank, byHenry Hutchinson, 1827
  • Lee Crescent in Lee Bank, ca. 1830

Victorian architecture

  • Curzon Street railway station by Philip Hardwick.
  • Midland Bank, Waterloo Street, by Henry Hutchinson
  • Old Joint Stock Theatre, byJ. A. Chatwin, 1864
  • Council House, by Yeoville Thomason, 1879
  • Birmingham Town Hall, by Joseph Hansom and Edward Welch, 1834.

The Gothic revival

  • St Chad's Cathedral, by Augustus Pugin, 1841.
  • St Augustine's Church, Edgbaston, by J. A. Chatwin, 1868.

High Victorian architecture

  • The red brick and terracotta Victoria Law Courts by Sir Aston Webb and Ingress Bell, on Corporation Street.
  • Birmingham School of Art, designed byJohn Henry Chamberlain.
  • The Arts and Crafts Movement
  • 21 Yateley Road, Edgbaston,Grade Idesigned by Herbert Tudor Buckland in 1899 as his own home.
  • 122-124 Colmore RowGrade I by William Lethaby, 1900
  • Birmingham Guild of Handicraft by Arthur Stansfield Dixon, 1898.
  • Garth House, Edgbaston, by William Henry Bidlake, 1901
  • Winterbourne, by Joseph Lancaster Ball, 1903
  • Bournville Junior School, by William Alexander Harvey, 1905
  • Four Oaks Methodist Church by Crouch and Butler, 1908

Edwardian Architecture

  • The Hall of Memory in Centenary Square.
  • The former Odeon Cinema in Sutton Coldfield by Harry Weedon and Cecil Clavering, 1936.
  • The Birmingham Medical School and Queen Elizabeth Hospital by Henry Vaughan Lanchester and Thomas Arthur Lodge, 1938 

Post-World War II architecture

  • James A. Roberts' iconic Rotunda prior to renovation.
  • Richard Seifert's Alpha Toweron Broad Street.

Contemporary architecture

  • Selfridges, by Future Systems, 2003
  • Buildings in Brindleyplace, by CZWG, 1997 andStanton Williams, 1999
  • Millennium Point, byNicholas Grimshaw & Partners, 2002
  • 10 Holloway Circus by Ian Simpson, 2006
  • The Cube, by Ken Shuttleworth of MAKE Architects, 2010
  • Newman University Library, by Glenn Howells Architects, 2011
  • The Library of Birmingham, by Mecanoo, 2013

No comments:

Post a comment